Betty & Smith, a boutique communications firm in Washington, DC, is seeking a Director to join their fast-growing firm.
Betty & Smith partners with foundations, non-profits, trade associations, and advocacy groups to bring their stories to life in the most relatable, compelling ways. Its team of strategists and changemakers have decades of experience defining, shaping and elevating some of the most complicated and divisive issues of our day. Alison Betty and David Smith have created and directed award-winning advertising campaigns for major brands and national organizations as well as Democratic candidates at the federal and state levels.
The Director will be a senior leader, collaborating with the partners to develop, manage and execute communications strategies across a wide array of advocacy campaigns and philanthropic organizations. The Director will be immersed in some of the most pressing social issues of our time, including access to affordable health care, early childhood development, and intergenerational poverty to name a few.
The Director will join a team of hard-working go-getters with a passion to make people’s lives better, healthier and happier. Betty & Smith cultivates a workplace rooted in collaboration, creativity, authenticity, and opportunity. Risk taking and bold thinking are encouraged.
Working with partners Alison Betty and David Smith, the Director will:
• Create, manage and execute communications strategies across a wide array of advocacy campaigns and philanthropic organizations
• Write compelling messages and create content that turn complicated social policy problems and solutions into simple, powerful and relatable stories
• Develop and manage projects, including budgets, timelines and content creation
• Serve as a primary point of contact and relationship manager with client leads
• Lead account teams and mentor staff
• Work with partners to develop new business opportunities, including writing proposals and presenting ideas and strategies
Qualifications and Experience
• 8+ of relevant professional experience in strategic communications and campaigns
• 4+ years’ experience managing people, including demonstrated ability to successfully motivate, manage and mentor a team to meet objectives
• Demonstrated ability to lead creative communications or media campaigns around policy or political issues
• Devotion to progressive causes such as health care reform, criminal justice reform, combating climate change and supports for children and families such as paid family leave, child care, Medicaid and SNAP
• Strong curiosity and knowledge of the current political landscape and national dialogue.
• Ability to take complex issues and quickly craft easily understood written material
• Experience with media relations and demonstrated relationships with national reporters and/or bloggers preferred
• Strong understanding of digital strategy and experience using digital tactics
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing, with all levels of clients, media, and staff members
• Ability to stay organized and handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Proficiency in effectively editing staff materials and help develop others’ writing skills
• Experience managing finances and budgets preferred
• Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience in a communications-related field
• A deep level of personal commitment to social justice and progressive success
• Strong curiosity and knowledge of the current political landscape and national dialogue
• Low ego, patient and compassionate, with a desire to work collaboratively with junior and senior colleagues and clients
• Enjoys working in a team environment that fosters staff growth
• Meticulous attention to detail
• A strong sense of humor and fun