Come make a difference with a fantastic team bringing accountability to bear on the Trump administration and state governments. American Oversight is a nonprofit, nonpartisan government watchdog dedicated to exposing corruption. We are seeking an extraordinary candidate to support our development program to help us expand our mission.
American Oversight’s investigations and litigation have helped uncover stories, including Trump administration actions against asylum-seekers; Ivanka Trump’s use of personal email; and favoritism by Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao for priorities promoted by the office of her husband, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. We are currently suing the State Department for records related to President Trump’s attempts to pressure Ukraine to investigate a political rival. As we expand, we’re bringing our model to the states and using transparency tools to hold state governments accountable for attacks on voting rights.
With your help, we can do even more. As our development associate, you will help plan and execute fundraising meetings, draft meeting briefs, draft messages to our email lists, organize fundraising information, and support our overall fundraising strategies.
We are a small team in a fast-paced environment. Collegiality and the ability to work effectively on multiple projects, balance priorities, and excel in a team-based environment are essential.
This position is based in Washington, DC, and reports to the Executive Director.
- Support donor communications programs, including our email lists. Help generate ideas for, and draft, communications about American Oversight actions.
- Play a key role in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting donor prospects.
- Draft and send various communications to supporters and prospective supporters, including marketing materials, thank you letters, and grant proposals.
- Manage lists and maintain donor information across multiple platforms with accuracy.
- Support senior staff’s responses to donors.
- Process gifts and grants, including making and tracking deposits, sending acknowledgments and thank you messages, and maintaining records.
- Support senior staff’s fundraising work, including by arranging travel and meetings.
- Support Executive Director with day-to-day administrative support.
- 1–3 years of experience in development and/or online fundraising communications or equivalent relevant experience.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational abilities.
- Exceptional communications skills. This includes, clear writing, research, verbal, and interpersonal skills; the ability to adapt your written and verbal communications to meet the needs of stakeholders. Your writing should be pithy, clear, useful, appropriate for the audience, and free of errors. You communicate early and often, close the loop quickly on outstanding issues, and work closely with others to get the job done right and on time.
- Proficient with Salesforce and Microsoft Office Suite.
- We believe the above qualifications do a good job describing the kind of candidate we are seeking; however, if you think you’re perfect for the job but don’t check every box, please apply and tell us why you’d be a great fit.
- American Oversight is proudly an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse team. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, and/or veterans are encouraged to apply.
- The salary range for this position is $45,000 – $55,000, commensurate with experience. We offer a 403(b) plan with an employer match and generous health-care benefits.
- We are biased, but we think American Oversight is a great place to work! Take a look at the testimonials from members of our wonderful team.
- American Oversight is a nonpartisan, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send application materials, including a one-page cover letter describing relevant experience and interest, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com with “Development Associate” in the subject line. Please indicate in your email how you heard about this opening.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and will begin our first round of application review by November 8, 2019 (rolling thereafter).
The salary range for this position is $45,000 – $55,000, commensurate with experience. We offer a 403(b) plan with an employer match and generous health-care benefits.