We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
The Paralegal / Legal Administrator provides substantive and administrative support to the General Counsel’s office, particularly focusing on managing the priorities and projects of the Senior Vice President, General Counsel (SVP, GC), providing administrative support, drafting and reviewing documents including contracts and corporate governance documents, and conducting legal research. The Paralegal / Legal Administrator is an integral part of the team, which is comprised of three attorneys including the SVP, GC, the Deputy General Counsel and Associate General Counsel. The position requires an ability to manage multiple projects at once, prioritize deadlines, see projects through to completion and anticipate and plan for the needs and workflow of the office.
- Drafts and/or assists with editing and proofreading of legal documents – including business letters, policies and procedures, meeting agendas, notes and minutes, trainings, corporate governance documents, talking points, presentations, fact sheets, and other documents.
- Conducts legal research and drafts basic legal documents including memoranda and correspondence.
- Prepares and reviews vendor, consultant and event contracts and GC’s office correspondence.
- Maintains GC’s office filings and tracks and manages contracts.
- Responsible for taking minutes during board meetings (including the coordination of law fellows to assist with the note-taking) and compiling minutes for review and approval by SVP, GC.
- Responsible for maintaining corporate governance documents.
- Supports special projects of the SVP, GC as they arise.
- Assists the SVP, GC in managing the priorities and projects of the office, including systematizing and maintaining electronic and paper files.
- Maintains the calendar of the SVP, GC, and organizes and schedules meetings for the General Counsel team.
- Supports staff of GC’s office in all administrative duties including maintaining journal and Lexis-Nexis subscriptions, reimbursements, travel arrangements, as well as scheduling meetings, tracking pro bono attorneys’ hours, ordering supplies, and providing primary administrative support to the SVP,GC.
- Assists with the department’s finances, including check requests, credit card reconciliations, purchase orders, expense reports, reimbursements, and the annual budgeting process.
- Assists with recruitment and management of law fellows.
- Completes assigned other duties on behalf of the GC’s office and other departments.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent work experience) with at least five to seven years of relevant work experience required.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to conduct legal research.
- At a minimum 2 years paralegal experience, or administrative experience with paralegal responsibilities, in a law firm or a legal environment.
- Proficient with Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs, Slides and Sheets), similar MS Office products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, remote meeting applications including Zoom, and LexisNexis/Bloomberg Law and DocuSign.
- Excellent organizational skills in terms of managing project deadlines and volumes of paperwork.
- Ability to adapt to fast-paced work environment.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while prioritizing important issues.
- Must be independent at times, collaborative at other times, and have the judgment to discern when to be either.
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to high quality and timely work product.
- Strong professional ethics and high sensitivity in dealing with confidential information.
- Personal interest and commitment to LGBTQ equality.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.