The Human Resources Analyst will work with the Attorney Compensation Manager supporting responses to large surveys related to attorney compensation and personnel data; monitoring market trends in attorney compensation; coordinating the annual attorney compensation processes, including documentation, data production, compensation calculations, and committee processes; generate and maintain attorney hours and related metrics and answer related questions; and provide data related to compensation terms for attorney candidates.
This position is available in the following markets:
- Seattle, WA
- Austin, TX
- Phoenix, AZ
- Chicago, IL
- Boise, ID
- Portland, OR
Attorney Compensation and Attorney Personnel Data Surveys
- Track timelines and deadlines for annual surveys that include significant attorney compensation and attorney personnel data questions; generate and maintain data necessary to respond to surveys, draft narrative responses for review.
Attorney Compensation Market Events & Trends
- Monitor and track information related to market events and trends related to attorney compensation. Calculate outcomes and costs based on proposed changes in response to events and trends.
Annual Attorney Compensation Processes
- Support annual compensation processes for associates, counsel, Senior Counsel, all other nonpartner attorneys, and patent agents.
- Maintain documentation and communications related to the annual compensation processes, including reference materials and communications to firm, practice group and office leadership, compensation committee members, and individual attorneys. In collaboration with the attorney evaluation team, coordinate and implement communications.
- Support Viewer (internal evaluation and compensation tool) updates as needed and as related to attorney compensation.
- In collaboration with Finance department, produce all finance and hours data and reports needed for the annual evaluation and compensation process
- Support training and work of compensation committee members, including distribution of compensation reference materials and communications. In collaboration with attorney evaluation team, plan annual meeting logistics with Associate & Counsel Compensation Committee and Senior Counsel Compensation Committee.
- Calculate all initial salary and bonus recommendations.
- In collaboration with attorney evaluation team, distribute committees’ recommendations to firm, practice group and office leadership; track proposed changes and final outcomes.
- Produce data sources for final compensation memos. In collaboration with attorney evaluation team, coordinate distribution of final compensation information and memos.
- Generate outcome data for reports on outcomes of compensation processes; provide data and work with Finance to close Raptor (internal data warehouse).
Attorney Hours & Related Metrics
- Calculate annualized hours for all associates and counsel on a monthly basis.
- On a quarterly basis, generate annualized hours for all associates and counsel on optional 1950-hour salary schedule, including current statistical year and rolling 12 months. Generate standard memos for associates and counsel on optional 1950-hour schedule regarding their pace and possible future reductions or actual reductions.
- Maintain and execute standard, “automatic” process to provide associates and counsel with adjusted hours based on midyear hire dates and leaves. Maintain records of Attorney Transition Time, both accrued and used. Communicate transition time accruals to individual associates.
- Respond to questions from nonpartner attorneys about all of the above.
- Attorney Recruiting
- Provide salary and signing bonus data needed to recommend compensation terms for attorney candidates. Maintain records related to signing bonuses and rationales.
Other Attorney Compensation Matters
- Respond to questions and provide information to associates and counsel regarding bonus policies, true-up pay policies, and make-whole pay policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position may require travel, although infrequently.
The ideal candidate will possess strong critical thinking and analytical skills and the ability to analyze and process large amounts of data into concise reports for Firm management. Must be able to prioritize and prepare organized and detailed work under time constraints with a high degree of accuracy. Must be able express oneself effectively, both orally and in writing. High-level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite with advanced Excel capabilities required.
Experience with Workday or other HRIS preferred.
Education & Experience:
This position requires a bachelor's degree and a minimum of 2-3 years of related experience including progressively responsible analysis in support of compensation, financial analysis and/or human resources processes. Experience in a law firm or other professional services organization highly preferred.